Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Noise Pop NightLife
Beauty is in the ear of the beholder this week as Noise Pop Music and Arts Festival takes over NightLife for an evening exploring the science of sound—just in time for Noise Pop’s 25th anniversary.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Noise Pop DJ Sets
6:00 - 8:00pm, Groove to disco and indie house from Push the Feeling DJs.
8:00 - 10:00pm, Catch a DJ set from acclaimed experimental pop band Animal Collective, featuring Avey Tare & Geologist.
Phonographic Memory Podcast
7:30 pm, Check out sound-inspired storytelling during a live taping of the Phonographic Memory Podcast in African Hall.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Explore the possibilities of electronic sound with one of the more sci-fi inspired instruments - The Theremin.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Sound off with Julia Jane Moore as she shows you how to make your own popsicle stick harmonica. Then, do some crate digging with local neighborhood shop, Western Relics!
6:00 - 10:00pm, At the Project Lab, lend your ear (and brain!) to neuroscientists looking to share their latest research.
Ever wonder how our brains help us keep the beat? Neuroscientist Matt Schalls will break down how human brains detect patterns in music. Plus, discover how we make sense of natural sounds, learn how animals use echolocation, and chat about the fascinating world of ant communication with entomologists from AntWeb.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
The creatures come out at NightLife when the Academy transforms into a spine-tingling tribute to '80s horror.
Design and science unite for a special edition of NightLife curated by California College of the Arts.
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of human health and wellness.
Sink your teeth into BiteLife, our annual event celebrating all things edible.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.