Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Lunar Underground
Buy ahead to skip the line and save on tickets. 21+.
This event is sold out online! Please note: we have a limited quantity of tickets set aside at the ticket window for walk-up guests, while supplies last.
So you’re looking for a different kind of Lunar New Year party. You know, the kind where you can play mahjong, get a tattoo, and wander through a bustling night market. You in? Join the celebration and welcome the year of the rabbit and cat the NightLife way.
Check out the Lunar Underground DJs’ exclusive NightLife playlist on Spotify
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
G'Ma's MJ Lounge
6 - 10 PM
- Did someone say kong? We’re busting out the mahjong tables but be warned: This won’t be your grandma’s mahjong night (unless your grandma plays after-hours at a science museum, cocktail in hand — in which case, can you invite her?). Hosted by our friends at Baba’s House, grab a drink and a seat and pick your lucky tiles for free play and mahjong tutorials all night long.
NightLife Tattoo Shop
6 - 10 PM
- Celebrate Lunar New Year with a lasting memento— real tattoos (yep, the permanent kind). While spots to get inked are limited, partygoers can look on all night as a lucky few memorialize the year with a Lunar New Year inspired tattoo.
For more details about getting tattooed at NightLife (including flash sheets and pricing), be sure to check out the artists’ individual Instagram pages: Dr. Christine Liu, Vié Lu, Susan Shao, and Hyesu Jung. Please note: there will be limited slots. Client selection will be up to the discretion of each artist.
LED Lion Dance Remix
- At 8:30 PM, Glow big or go home. The dancers at LionDanceME are upping the ante on a Lunar New Year tradition with the ultimate LED lion dance performance.
6 - 10 PM
- No party is complete without snacks and local wares. Roam our special market, curated by Baba’s House, inspired by the famed late-night open markets in Asia. From fortune cookies to hand-made jewelry, find one-of-a-kind treasures and treats from local Asian-owned businesses:
A few don't-miss NightLife details:
- Effective September 16, NightLife guests will no longer be required to provide proof of full vaccination or a recent negative test. We still strongly encourage all guests to stay up-to-date on their vaccinations, and to mask up indoors. As always, if you’re feeling under the weather, please NightLife another time. View health and safety information here.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
- Morrison Planetarium is now open at NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, planetarium passes are required and capacity is limited. Passes are available online in advance for an additional $5 while supplies last to reserve a seat at a 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, or 9:30 pm planetarium show. Please see our FAQs for more details. (Please note: A limited number of standby seats will be available for all showtimes as space allows on a first-come, first-served basis. Food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium.)
- Beverages are available at various bars throughout the building, but food must enjoyed outdoors or in the Academy Cafe only.
- NightLife is for adults 21+ only. Photo ID required.
- Still have Qs? See our FAQs here.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.
From bhangra to Pan Afro-Urban dance and Samba, see how the dance floor becomes a canvas for self-expression.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
Sashay into a night of greatness and glam as we celebrate the undeniable impact and artistry of drag.
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 60,000 live animals.
We're serving more than looks in a night all about weaving connections through fashion.