Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
NightLife in Space: Cosmos
Get trippy as NightLife travels far out to the ends of the observable universe with a dive into some of the greatest cosmic mysteries of our time, from the Fermi paradox to the multiverse and dark matter to magnetic fields in space.
Music by DJ Mawkus
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Live Talks: Across The Universe
- At 7:30 PM, Catch a live talk from Seth Shostak, Senior Astronomer at the SETI Institute, an organization dedicated to the search for other technological civilizations.
- At 8:30 PM, Delve into some light gravitational physics with UC Berkeley Einstein fellow Philipp Mösta, whose research focuses on electromagnetic and gravitational wave emission.
Live Talk: Capturing the Sounds of Mars
Explore some of the mind-blowing imagery produced by SOFIA (Stratospheric Observatory for Infrared Astronomy), Chat cosmology with researchers from UC Berkeley & Women in Physics and Astronomy from SFSU, plus check out some interstellar live drawing from Nigel Sussman.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Journey through our solar system to discover our place in the cosmos, narrated by Tom Hanks.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Embark on a late-night science adventure: NightLife explores the mechanics of flight in the natural world.
Come dressed to go “Under the Sea” and celebrate World Oceans Day and the wonder of coral reefs.
NightLife partners with SF Design Week to explore the many ways design impacts lives, culture, and science.
NightLife gets under your skin with the opening of our newest exhibit!