Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Culture Clash
Photo Credit: Andria Lo / Chinatown Pretty
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Culture Clash Live Talks
- 7:30 PM - Asian American Music in the Bay
- 8:00 PM - Chinatown Pretty
- Discover fashion and wisdom from Chinatown’s most stylish seniors in a panel discussion featuring Andria Lo, Valerie Luu, and Dorothy Quock.
Culture Clash Music Showcase
Step outside to enjoy performances from a mixed bag of Asian American music makers around the Bay Area and beyond, courtesy of TRAKTIVIST.
- 6:00 PM - DJ Toy
- 7:00 PM - The Les
- 8:00 PM - DJ Presto
- 8:30 PM - Live Performances
Immerse yourself in the Bay Area’s Asian American community with an evening of music, storytelling, and fashion. Join us for our first Culture Clash event, where we celebrate the multidimensional cultures that make up the cultural fabric of our beloved city by the Bay.
Throughout the night you’ll have the opportunity to watch performances from a cadre of talented Asian American music makers, including rapper-by-night-scientist-by-day Ruby Ibarra; pop, R&B, hip hop and electronic music artist Ashley Mehta; rapper and multiinstrumentalist Rocky G; plus sets from DJ Presto, DJ Toy, and The Les.
Discover the rich histories, invaluable wisdom, and inspiring style captured in Chinatown Pretty, a storytelling project that documents senior citizens’ street style in Chinatowns across North America. Founders Andria Lo and Valerie Luu will participate in a panel discussion moderated by Masashi Niwano, festival and exhibitions director at the Center for Asian American Media (CAAM), with special guest and Chinatown Pretty fixture Dorothy Quock. Together, the group will discuss the inspiration behind the project, and the unique opportunity it provides to celebrate unique style, convey cultural values, reveal resilience, and share seniors’ immigration stories.
Awaken a deeper appreciation for Asian American representation in the Bay Area music scene with a panel discussion featuring local changemakers who are bringing Asian American music to the fore. You’ll hear from Richie Menchavez, founder of TRAKTIVIST, an online hub for discovering music made by Asian North Americans; music industry professional and global Asian music advocate Christina Luna, founder of Asian American Music Conference; and Allyson Toy, co-founder and co-host of LIONS SHARE, a creative community and weekly music podcast featuring Asian artists on the rise.
A few don't-miss event details:
- To help keep guests safe and ensure everyone has plenty of room to roam, NightLife will be limiting capacity and have timed-entry tickets.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:30 pm—our animals need their sleep.
Morrison Planetarium will be open during NightLife with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, reservations are required and capacity is limited. Reservations are first-come, first served—simply scan the QR code posted in the front lobby upon arrival to make your reservation.
Please note: food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium, and masks must be worn properly at all times.
- Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Academy Café and West Garden Terrace including a variety of grab-and-go options, craft cocktails, and more. All food and drink must be enjoyed outdoors.
- Please embrace the Academy’s three favorite Ws: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, and Watch your distance. All guests will be required to wear a mask and social distancing will be enforced according to the latest public health and safety guidelines.
- NightLife is adults-only for 21+
- Still have Q’s? See our FAQ’s here.
Unlock the secrets of space through Chile's epic mountain observatories. Capacity is extremely limited!
Upcoming ticketed museum events
Explore the Academy at night alongside nearly 40,000 live animals.
Live music + live science is always a win—get your fill of both at the official Noise Pop Music Fest pre-party.
Do androids dream of electric penguins? Expand your mind with a night of futuristic art and science.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy.
They broke rules, stereotypes, & glass ceilings. Meet the fearless scientists who challenged the status quo.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.