Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Feel the Force NightLife
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment inspired by a galaxy far, far away.
Wander among droids built by the R2 Builders club and come in costume to celebrate your favorite epic space saga.
Get into character during a lightsaber workshop with the Saber Guild and prepare to be wowed by epic lightsaber battles by the Golden Gate Knights. Pose for photos with iconic characters brought to you by local costume clubs.
In the snowy Piazza (aka Hoth), catch an otherworldly performance by Monster Rally, the musical project of Cleveland-born artist Ted Feighan. Expect immersive sounds sampled from vintage records, with accompanying art inspired by vintage exotica and tropical imagery.
Plus, grab a pair of headphones and rock out under falling snow flurries at a Silent Disco presented by Deep Eddy Vodka.
Descend into Naboo’s underwater city (or the Philippine Coral Reef) for a set by Make it Funky DJs; wind your way through Kashyyyk (our four-story rainforest dome); stargaze from Cloud City (the Living Roof); and board the Death Star (aka Morrison Planetarium) for a live Academy Update followed by screenings of Worlds Far, Far Away.
Please note: This event often sells out. We highly recommend purchasing tickets in advance.
COSTUME AND MASK POLICY
Event attendees are encouraged to dress in costumes for this event. For the safety and enjoyment of our guests, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Costumes should not be obstructive, offensive or violent in nature.
- For the safety of all visitors, we ask that guests refrain from wearing masks or other items which obscure the face.
- Costumes should not contain sharp or pointed objects, or materials that may accidentally strike guests or exhibits.
- Costumes should not contain any elements which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- The California Academy of Sciences reserves the right to turn away any guest with a costume that we deem offensive or unsafe.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
This event is not sponsored by, endorsed by, or affiliated with Lucasfilm Ltd.
Explore what Academy researchers are doing behind the scenes in this live Planetarium show.
Travel more than 12 parsecs with Sr Presenter Josh Roberts to find out about other worlds in our Universe.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment and a live performance by Monster Rally!
’Tis the season to stuff those stockings and shop locally with a merry marketplace curated by SF Bazaar.
Step away from the baby bellas and learn how to unleash fungi’s true potential!
Laugh your face mites off as SF Sketchfest takes over the Academy for a knee-slapping night.