Visit the main City Nature Challenge website to learn more about the event and to see the list of the 400+ cities participating in 2021!
Here in the Bay Area, joining in is easy! If you live in or are visiting any of the nine counties that touch San Francisco Bay, all you have to do is:
1. Download the free iNaturalist app to your mobile device.
2. During April 30 - May 3, take photos to make observations of wild plants and animals in your house, your backyard, a park, your neighborhood - anywhere you find nature and can maintain safe social distancing. Check out this guide for finding nature in and around your home for ideas of where to look for species. Be sure to mark the observation as captive/cultivated if it's not a wild organism!
3. Upload your photos to iNaturalist. They will be automatically added to the San Francisco Bay Area City Nature Challenge project!
4. Learn more as your finds get identified, and feel free to help ID other people's observations, especially during the May 4-9 identification period.
5. Results will be announced on Monday, May 10!