The Academy welcomes over 330,000 guests each year through our free and reduced admission programs—because we believe world-class science should be available to everyone. From free field trips for all San Francisco students to $3 admission for EBT, WIC, and Medi-Cal cardholders, we're proud to open our doors to open more minds.
- Plan-ahead Pricing: View the next six months of Daytime Admission and NightLife ticket prices on our ticket calendar and purchase at least one day ahead of your visit to lock in the lowest price. On average, adults purchasing one week in advance save $7 per ticket!
- Sustainable transportation discount: Get $3 off Daytime Admission when you walk, bike, or take public transit to the Academy. View our Getting Here page to plan your trip. Offer not available online.
- Free for 2 and under: All children age 2 and under enjoy free Daytime Admission to the Academy, everyday.
- Military discount: Active-duty military personnel receive $3 off Daytime Admission with valid military ID or proof of service (e.g., VA card or DD-214) at the ticket window. Offer does not apply to family, friends, or dependents.
- NightLife: Experience the nocturnal side of the Academy for a lot less—and save $1 or more when you buy at least a day in advance. NightLife is every Thursday from 6-10 pm. For adults 21+ with ID.
- Membership: Annual memberships start at just $99—or $6 a month—meaning an entire year of unlimited Academy adventures pays for itself in 2-3 visits.
For Northern California residents
- San Francisco Neighborhood Free Weekends: All San Francisco residents receive free admission to the Academy on select weekends every year. Find your zip code and plan your visit!
- Discover & Go: Library cardholders 14 and older can check out passes good for free Academy admission at participating libraries from San Francisco to Sacramento. Select your library system and log in, or contact your local branch for details.
For school groups
- School and Youth Field Trips: All pre-K–12 school groups from the City and County of San Francisco receive free admission to the Academy, and all other California school groups receive a discounted group rate. Dates through June 5, 2020, now available.
- Rock Program: The Arthur and Toni Rembe Rock Enhanced Museum Visits Program supports field trips for grades 2-5 in San Francisco. Free transportation, admission, and educational materials are all provided by this program.
Affordable access programs
Please check with your local health and human services agency to see if you qualify for the programs below.
- EBT/WIC/Medi-Cal Benefit: As part of the Museums for All cooperative, the Academy offers $3 Daytime Admission tickets to EBT, WIC, Lifeline Pass, and Medi-Cal cardholders every day of the year. Present your card at the ticket window to purchase your $3 tickets. Limit 4 per group per visit. Not valid for special events or NightLife.
- Community Access Ticket Service (CATS): CATS provides cultural experiences and museum visits to places like the Academy to tens of thousands of people who otherwise could not afford to visit through partnerships with social service organizations like Boys and Girls Clubs, Salvation Army, YMCA, and more.