The application for the 2023-2024 school year is now open! Field trips are available from September 5, 2023 - May 31, 2024.
© Mario Sánchez Prada
Each year, more than 1,600 schools visit the Academy on a field trip. School field trips are available for formal school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool, on a trip with their classroom teacher. Bring one class, or the entire grade!
School field trip reservations are available for formal California school groups of students in grades pre-K through 12, including preschool.
- Field trips occur when your school is in session, with classroom teacher(s) in attendance.
- To receive the school group rate, you must bring more than 10 people on your field trip, entering the building together at one time, adhering to chaperone ratios and other relevant policies.
- San Francisco school groups receive free admission during the academic year.
- For other California school groups, pricing is a discounted flat rate per person, regardless of Title I status. During the 2023-2024 school year, the field trip rate for eligible school groups is $12.95 per person from September 5 - November 17, and $14.95 per person from November 27 - May 31.
- Eligibility for these free or discounted rates is at the discretion of the Academy, as subsidized admission is available thanks to generous annual donations to the Academy for All initiative, many of which have restrictions.
- Payment must be received in full at least two weeks prior to your visit date, although you may modify your headcount before submitting payment. We accept mailed checks or payment by credit card over the phone to 877-227-3311.
- More details can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.
- You'll sign these School Group Guidelines on the morning of your field trip.
Generally, field trips can be scheduled on most dates with the exception of holidays and school breaks. Your school's academic calendar plays a role: a field trip must occur on a school day, not on weekends, afterschool, or during any dates that are off for students.
From August 21 through November 17, 2023, Osher Rainforest will be closed to the public for infrastructure maintenance. During the closure, catch not-to-be-missed added events in every corner of the museum, including a new live frog program, interactive pop-up science demos, and the return of Coral Reef Dive!
On October 25, 2023, we'll deliver additional preschool programs for 3-4 year olds. Select that date if your students might benefit!
Consider attending on November 2, 2023, for Spanish Field Trip Day, if your student population might benefit!
For those interested in our newest exhibits:
- World's Largest Dinosaurs is open through January 19, 2024.
- Hidden Wonders is on exhibit throughout the school year.
For those interested in reserving seats in the Morrison Planetarium for your school group, be sure to review the calendar of student shows to select a date when a grade-appropriate show is playing. Seats are limited; reservations for schools usually book by the end of December for dates through the following May.
For additional planning tips and day-of resources, visit our Plan a Field Trip page.
Find a reserved program
This show is offered on most weekdays at 12:30 pm through November 8, 2023.
This show for students in grades 3-5 is offered on select weekdays at 10:30 am throughout the school year.
This show for students in grades 6-8 is offered on select Wednesdays at 10:30 am from October to February.
Journey across space and time as we explore the remnants of stellar explosions to trace how elements form.
The Rock Fund Program is open to K-5 classes in the city of San Francisco. This unique opportunity includes free field trip programming and needs-based transportation scholarships.
Schools in 9 Bay Area counties with 70%+ FRPM population
Low-income schools in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo, and SF
Oakland public or charter schools
The School Field Trips program is generously supported by an a Anonymous donor, Genentech, Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education, Jacques M. Littlefield Foundation, and Koret Foundation. Additional support is provided by the Academy’s local business donors.