The Rock Fund Program is open to K-5 classes in the city of San Francisco. This unique opportunity includes free field trip programming and needs-based transportation scholarships.
© Mario Sánchez Prada
Each year, more than 1,600 schools visit the Academy on a field trip. School field trips are available for formal school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool, on a trip with their classroom teacher. Bring one class, or the entire grade!
Not as yet! While we are delighted to reopen the Academy's doors to the public, as per the latest update of the San Francisco Department of Public Health directive, groups of mixed households are not allowed to visit indoor museums (page 5, item 1.9). Moreover, the Academy is limiting attendance to 20% of our capacity to maximize physical distancing and minimize crowding.
We don't anticipate field trips resuming until the 2021-22 school year begins, at the earliest.
Once group visits resume, those schools that submitted payment for a spring 2020 field trip which was unexpectedly canceled due to the onset of the pandemic will receive first priority. Our education team will reach out directly to those schools before opening up the application to other sites.
All payments will remain on a school's account indefinitely as a credit for use on a future reservation, unless the site requests a refund.
In the meantime, please consider taking advantage of our free Distance Learning programs!
School field trip reservations are available for formal California school groups of students in grades pre-K through 12, including preschool.
- To receive the school group rate, you must bring more than 10 people on your field trip, entering the building together at one time.
- San Francisco school groups receive free admission. View chaperone policy
- For other California school groups, pricing is a flat rate of $11.25 per person, whether student or adult chaperone. We are proud to offer this heavily discounted admission prices to schools regardless of Title I status.
- Eligibility for these free or discounted rates is at the discretion of the Academy, as subsidized admission is available thanks to generous annual donations to the Academy for All initiative.
- Payment must be received in full at least two weeks prior to your visit date, although you may modify your headcount before submitting payment. We accept mailed checks or payment by credit card over the phone to 877-227-3311.
Generally, field trips can be scheduled on most dates with the exception of holidays and school breaks. You can even book a weekend visit, if you are a school that is traveling from a distance.
Reserved seats in Planetarium shows are free, but you must request them on the online application to pre-book the seats. Use these Planetarium schedules when planning preferred visit dates to improve your chances of getting seats in your favorite show. Seats are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
Schools from Oakland should check out the A to Z Fund.
Do you teach elementary school in San Francisco? The Rock Fund Program provides needs-based transportation scholarships, in addition to free educational programming for your field trip.
Find a reserved program
Helpful guides for planning your group's visit to the Academy.
The School & Youth Field Trips program is generously supported by an a Anonymous donor, BioMarin, Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education, Jacques M. Littlefield Foundation, and Koret Foundation. Additional support is provided by the Academy’s local business donors.