Delightful NightLife news, delivered weekly.
NightLife: Science Show & Tell—SOLD OUT
Update: General Admission for this event is now sold out.
The Academy is more than just a remarkable museum. This Thursday at NightLife, hear the latest on the Academy's cutting-edge biodiversity research and globe-spanning conservation efforts. Over the past year, more than a dozen whales have washed up along the Bay Area’s shores. To find out why—and what can be done about it—Academy researcher Moe Flannery conducts necropsies (or animal autopsies) to learn more about each whale. Join Moe as she shares the latest from her investigations—including parts collected from actual whales! For Western palates, eating insects seems inconceivable. But it could one day be necessary—and delicious. Hear from Academy entomologist Brian Fisher as he discusses why edible insects are the food of the future and how they are already being used to protect Madagascar's fragile forests. Get a behind-the-scenes look at a variety of biodiversity research going on throughout the Academy as undergraduate interns from our Summer Systematics Institute share their adventures, from the field to the lab.
Featuring MOM DJs (Motown on Mondays)
A few don't-miss event details:
- To help keep guests safe and ensure everyone has plenty of room to roam, NightLife will be limiting capacity and have timed-entry tickets.
- Last entry into the rainforest exhibit is 7:45 pm—our animals need their sleep.
Morrison Planetarium will be open during NightLife as of July 15 with 4 showtimes. To maximize staff and guest safety, reservations are required and capacity is limited. Reservations are first-come, first served—simply scan the QR code posted in the front lobby upon arrival to make your reservation.
Please note: food and drink are not permitted inside the planetarium, and masks must be worn properly at all times.
- Food and beverages are available for purchase in the Academy Café and West Garden Terrace including a variety of grab-and-go options, craft cocktails, and more. All dining and drinking is permitted inside the Academy Cafe and outdoors in the garden.
- Please embrace the Academy’s three favorite Ws: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, and Watch your distance. All guests will be required to wear a mask and social distancing will be enforced according to the latest public health and safety guidelines.
- NightLife is adults-only for 21+
- Still have Q’s? See our FAQ’s here.
Upcoming ticketed museum events
General Admission for this event is now sold out.
See what’s revealed once the sun goes down and explore the nocturnal side of the Academy. For adults 21+.
Explore Pop-Up Magazine’s FIELD GUIDE audio experience + art project made for & inspired by the world around us.
Explore the nocturnal side of the Academy and see what makes the museum at night different.
For adults 21+.