Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
How-to NightLife: Plant Lover Edition
Music by DJ Luiza Sa Davis
Grow that green thumb and dig in: We’re calling all lovers of succulents, fiddle-leaf figs, giant ferns, and everything in-between.
6:00 - 10:00pm
- Get practical tips from Garden for the Environment and Conservatory of Flowers & SF Botanical Gardens whose mission is to teach every San Franciscan how to garden, in order to contribute to food sustainability through urban gardens and farms.
- Want to branch out beyond the humble spider plant? Marlene Simon, aka The Plant Lady, will show you carnivorous plants, staghorn ferns, air plants, and unusual edibles that even apartment-dwellers can grow.
- Need some houseplant 101? Léon & George, purveyors of houseplants, will share plant-care secrets and test your plant-tending skills at their fun and leafy station.
- Science illustrator Sean Edgerton will display some specimens from the botany collection and talk about the observational skills it takes to accurately depict these plants in detailed renderings.
- Learn about the art of Bonsai with Krisa Fredrickson and George Haas of Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt, the largest all volunteer Bonsai group in the country.
6:00 - 10:00pm
-----> Make a one-of-a-kind plant container out of recycled materials with Green Art Workshop plus learn about the ambitious plans of Plenty, a farming startup that hopes to bring its indoor vertical farms to every major city in the U.S.
Academy Botanist Talk
(Science Today, East Pavilion)
-----> Explore the Academy’s botany department—that’d be the study of plants—with a pop-up talk by curator Dr. Nathalie Nagalingum. She’s one of a handful of experts in the world who studies cycads, ancient palm-like plants that comprise the most endangered group of organisms on Earth.
-----> Don’t forget to show your love for plants with your drink order—try NightLife’s signature craft beer, Magnolia’s Aliciella Bitter, brewed with plant types found on our Living Roof.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programming lineup subject to change.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6 – 9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Learn about the latest technology in ground-based telescopes
Upcoming NightLife Events
Explore the Academy through rose-colored glasses: Tonight we’re celebrating the wonderful world of color.
NightLife partners with SF Beer Week for a froth-filled evening of brews!
Come celebrate your Valentine's, Palentine's or Galentine's at the official Noise Pop Music Festival pre-party.
Kick off the Year of the Pig with lion dancers, masked performers, and pigs!