Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Fungus Among Us NightLife: SOLD OUT
Update: This NightLife event is now SOLD OUT
Step away from the baby bellas and learn how to unleash fungi’s true potential.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- 7:30pm, Enter the wonderful world of mushroom foraging with Debbie Viess of the Bay Area Mycological Society—and learn how and where to find fungi, why it’s important to study them, and why they’ve kept her fascinated for so long.
- 8:30pm, Discover the power of psilocybin, the naturally-occurring psychedelic compound produced by very special shrooms. Learn about the history—and future—of its use in psychiatric medical research with Dr. Brian Anderson, resident physician at UCSF.
- Get up close and personal with mycorrhiza, fungi that colonizes plant roots, and other fungal delights with Stanford Lab and the San Francisco Microscopical Society.
- Learn about what kind of local mushrooms to look for—and which ones to stay far away from—with the Bay Area Mycological Society.
- Add a twist of fungi to your next cocktail with the Mycological Society of San Francisco—they’ll be making and sharing tastes of earthy mushroom simple syrups. Plus, check out ID characteristics of display mushrooms from the wild and bring photos of your own mushrooms to have them ID'd with the experts from the Mycological Society of San Francisco.
- Join artists from the Paint Pens Collective for art and activities inspired by the fungi kingdom.
- Cultivate your very own mushroom spores to take home with Bay Area Applied Mycology.
- See and taste how fungi can be used to create delectable and healthy drinks from Rebbl and Health Ade.
In the planetarium, catch a screening of Vortex 2.0, a new immersive—and trippy—art and music experience created just for NightLife, featuring artists Bedtimes, Chase Hochstatter, Peter Clark, Chris Bjerre, Can Buyukberber, and Obscura.
Music by Music by DJ Sep (Dub Mission)
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Twist and turn through alien worlds and lose yourself in mesmerizing forms, colors, and music
Upcoming NightLife Events
It’s that time of year—when toothy sharks and thirsty humans unite for a salute to brews with an aquatic twist.
Close out your San Francisco summer with the final NightLife LIVE performance of the year from Kevin Morby.
Explore the mysteries beyond our solar system with a night dedicated to the search for extraterrestrials.