Applications for 2019-20 are due March 22, 2019.
Summer Session begins on June 10, 2019.
BSI a transformative, one-year professional learning opportunity that deepens the science literacy of PreK-5 teachers and students, in order to empower all students to see themselves as independent thinkers and real world problem-solvers.
How can I teach science that matters to my students and their communities?
How can science inspire students to become more fluent readers, writers, and mathematicians?
How can I juggle the changing curriculum, the crunch for time, AND the needs of my students?
Join the makers of TISS and a community of Bayview-based elementary educators to explore these questions, and more, starting in June 2019.
Goals of the Institute
By focusing on teams of teachers and support staff from a few schools at a time, the Bayview Science Institute will encourage school-wide shifts, including:
- Deepening teachers' content knowledge & interest in science
- Preparing teachers to confidently facilitate the new, integrated Amplify science curriculum
- Promoting student agency and independent thinking
- Inspiring students to become caretakers of their environment
- 1 week program for educators at the California Academy of Sciences from June 10-14, 2019
- Follow-up coaching and after school PD sessions in 2019-20
- Culminating 3-day summer session in June 2020
Benefits for Participants
- $1500 stipend for June 2019-June 2020
- School site coaching by Academy educators
- Complimentary Academy membership
- Complimentary meals during summer & school year sessions
- Class set of science notebooks
The Institute is generously supported by the Cedar Tree Foundation, the Clarence E. Heller Charitable Foundation, and the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission.