- Our team is currently developing Virtual PD options and determining what our capacity will be in 2020-21.
- If you would like us to reach out when we know more, please complete this short form.
Is your school or district seeking professional development in science instruction for a group of educators?
Read on, then complete the request form to start a conversation with the Academy's Teacher Professional Development team. We would love to work with you to determine whether we can support your team of educators.
How do we support teachers?
Our team can customize a professional learning sequence based on the goals of your school or district. We can host teachers here in our world-class museum, or travel to nearby school sites. We are open to partnerships that include:
- Delivering PD experiences for half-day, one-day, or multi-day sessions
- Building the capacity of teacher leaders within and across school sites
- Coaching teachers one-on-one in the classroom
- Coaching groups of teachers at school sites
- Facilitating planning days for groups of teachers
We can deliver one-day sessions or multi-day series focused on any of the following themes:
- NGSS: Introductory & Intermediate Workshops
- Making the Most of Science Notebooks
- Levels of Inquiry/Student Investigations
- Hands On, Minds On: Activity Before Content
- Exploring Phenomena: Using Science to Figure Things Out
- Science Discourse for the NGSS classroom
- Mindset Matters: Learning and the Brain
- ...and more!
What is the process for requesting PD from the Academy?
The first step is to contact us through our Request Form! We are available to provide custom professional development during the academic year from September through April.
IMPORTANT CHANGES FOR 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR: Due to school and museum closure, we have paused our request process. Our team is currently developing Virtual PD options for the 2020-21 school year.
What happens after the form is submitted?
Within two weeks of submission, our team will reach out to you to schedule a short phone conversation. This call will allow the Academy team to learn more about your request, provide time for you to ask any questions of us, and let us determine our next steps together.
How much does this cost?
Previous partnerships with schools, districts, universities, and county offices have ranged in cost from approximately $1K (e.g. delivering a 1.5-hour conference-style session) to $70K (e.g. year-long, multi-modal support for an entire district around implementing new NGSS-aligned curriculum).
The cost of the Academy's custom PD depends on the length of the partnership, scope of work, and how much customization is requested or required.
The Academy's Teacher Professional Development team looks forward to learning more about your context and needs in order to craft meaningful science support to fit your goals and budget.
Acalanes High School
Bay Area Teacher Training Institute
Benicia Unified School District
Calcasieu Parish Public Schools, Louisiana
Contra Costa County Office of Education
Convent of the Sacred Heart
Gordon J. Lau Elementary
Jefferson Elementary School District
Leadership Public Schools
Los Gatos Union School District
Marin Primary & Middle School
Marjorie H. Tobias Elementary
Mill Valley School District
Palo Alto Unified School District
Pleasanton Unified School District
San Francisco Archdiocese
San Francisco State University
San Francisco Unified School District
Sonoma County Office of Education
Reed Union School District