Dates through August 2017 are now available. After submitting your application, you'll receive a confirmation email within a week.
We recognize that bringing a group to the Academy can be intimidating: the learning environment is stimulating and the list of daily events staggering. To assist you with trip planning, we have a few suggestions for selecting drop-in activities, and we've designed resources for structuring learning.
Choose Your Own Pathway
We recommend aligning your visit with a singular learning objective. Less is more!
- Select your learning objective.
- Find one exhibit that fits this goal well.
- Design a simple self-guided or group activity, or browse through the Academy's scavenger hunts. Emphasize concepts rather than facts. Use things you can observe directly rather than focusing on text. Consider using these scaffolds for field trips that involve a tiny bit of pre-work in students' science notebooks.
- Scan through the daily calendar and interactive exhibits. Would you like to instruct your chaperones to make sure students get to experience one or more?
- Leave time for student exploration, social interaction, and memory-making! Academy staff and docents are scattered throughout the building. Encourage your students to talk with them!
Dates through August 2017 are now available. After submitting your application, you can expect to receive a confirmation email within a week, if not earlier.
How do you access the Planetarium?
The only activity that requires advanced reservations is viewing a show in the Planetarium. You can select a show on your online application, and if space is available on your visit date, we'll book your group seats at a scheduled time. School groups may request seats in live astronomy presentations at 10:30 am which are designed specifically for grades K-2, 3-5, and 6-8, respectively.
Can I explore the Academy before the field trip to plan?
Yes! Field trip organizers can bring their order confirmation to the Service Desk outside the entrance, and we'll print one complimentary admission ticket for you. As long as you have an upcoming field trip, you can get into the building to plan!
Consider planning your trip around a particular exhibit that complements your science curriculum. We've developed Educator Exhibit Guides to help you:
- Plan an Academy field trip around a specific exhibit.
- Learn about an exhibit’s themes and key concepts to guide students’ experience.
- Discover Academy-written activities related to the exhibit.
- Find out about scientific research happening behind-the-scenes.
No two visits to the California Academy of Sciences are alike. Explore the drop-in presentations, animal feedings, and other activities scheduled for the day you plan to visit. Most are daily, and are appropriate for all ages.
- For the 10:30am Penguin Feeding and 11:30am Coral Reef Dive, we recommend arriving early for a seat!
- Docent carts change daily, so you won't be able to plan around them. Simply be on the lookout for orange lab coats!
Educators are always looking for worksheets and activities to guide student learning. These museum worksheets don't involve finding "the answers," but rather serve as tools to structure your visit around a given theme.
Encourage your students to slow down, make careful observations, and engage in science discourse with their peers!
Download our one-page Chaperone Guide for ideas on how to facilitate student learning! The Chaperone Guide is available in English, Spanish, or Chinese.
Then, browse through more tips that encourage students to engage all five of their senses as they observe and discover the wonders in front of them. If you like any of them, share them with other adults in attendance!
Closure dates are as follows and are subject to change:
Planetarium: February 27-March 1, 2017
Rainforest: June 6-7, 2017
- The Planetarium will be showing Habitat Earth (Grades 3-12) for school and youth groups through May 2017.
- The Planetarium will be showing Earthquake (Grades 3-12) for school and youth groups over the summer, running June-August 2017.
Gems & Minerals Unearthed is now open on Level 3.
Starting May 19, 2017, Pterosaurs: Flights in the Age of Dinosaurs is on display!
Step out of the box and taste the difference. Handcrafted at the Academy Café with locally sourced ingredients, boxed lunches or dining gift cards are great for groups on tight schedules and for trip planners who want to pay for everyone's meals with one form of payment.
School field trips are available year-round for school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool.
Summer camps and afterschool programs qualify for discounted visit rates, too! Your form is brief.
Educators of homeschooled children can also plan a trip at discounted admission rates! Come on by.
Never brought a class to the Academy before? See just how many teachers schedule a field trip each year!