Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
NightLife LIVE: Duckwrth
See the third installment of our NightLife LIVE 2019 summer music series with an energetic set in the West Garden by buzzy South Central LA rapper DUCKWRTH. As “LA’s newest, and arguably soon to be best export” (Paper Mag), DUCKWRTH mixes hip hop, funk, and rock for an exciting, unique sound. Oakland-born MC/producer G.L.A.M (“Good Lyrics and Music”) opens with fiery lyrics and her take on ‘90s-influencer hip hop. Between sets, explore the Academy as it transforms before your eyes with THEIA, an interactive AR (augmented reality) art app from NightLife LIVE artist-in-residence Maggie West. Head outside to check out her “Flora Dome,” which is lighting up the garden all season. Keep your senses stimulated and stay on your toes with a unique, immersive experience by Vision Quest. There’s no reason to go home empty-handed with pop-up shops from local favorites across the museum: browse Amoeba Music’s curated selection of vinyl, get your shirt or tote screenprinted by San Franpsycho, or take home a piece of art from one of the Paint Pens Collective artists.
ABOUT NIGHTLIFE LIVE
NightLife LIVE pairs emerging bands and musicians with cutting-edge visual artists in an immersive intersection of science, music, and art. The only museum in the world to combine an aquarium, planetarium, natural history museum, living rainforest, and live performances on an outdoor stage transforms the Academy into one of San Francisco’s most unique live music venues in the heart of Golden Gate Park.
Partnering with some of the Bay Area’s most buzzworthy art collectives and studios, NightLife LIVE will feature immersive light shows and mind-bending projections by ALL OF IT NOW, VR experiences by Vision Quest, and more. Each NightLife LIVE event will also feature hands-on, science-inspired crafts and creativity workshops with Paint Pens Collective, rotating pop-up shops from local vendors like Amoeba Records, and special “one-night-only” custom designs with screen printing by San Franpsycho.
Check the Spotify playlist to hear Duckwrth & more.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $3 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Can’t stand the heat? Explore some of the coolest creatures from some of the planet’s hottest climates.
NightLife breaks down the science of fermentation, from kombucha to chocolate and everything in-between.
Duckwrth performs at our 3rd installment of NightLife LIVE, co-presented by Noise Pop.
Grab your flannel and get yourself to ‘90s NightLife for a celebration of iconic pop culture.