Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Lunar New Year NightLife
Kick off the Lunar New Year with lion dance performances, martial arts, tea tastings, and more!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7:30-8:45pm, Celebrate the "Year of the Rooster" with four powerful performances by SF’s own Jing Mo Athletic Association, a Chinatown-based martial arts performance troupe and renowned Bay Area magician, Dan Chan.
- 7:30pm - Chinese Yo Yo performance by Dan Chan
- 7:40pm - Lion Dance Workshop
- 8:30pm - Bian Lian Mask performance by Dan Chan
- 8:40pm - Lion Dance and Martial Arts performance
Science of Szechuan Pepper
6:00 - 10:00pm, Stop by Mission Chinese to try some traditional Mapa Tofu Soup samples and to learn more about the art of Chinese cooking.
8:00pm, Here a talk about the science of Szechuan peppers and why they're essential to Chinese cooking.
Chinese New Year Craft
6:00 - 9:00pm, Have fun sewing your own lunar new year animal crafts with Julia Jane Moore.
6:00 - 10:00pm, Learn about traditional Chinese teas while sipping samples with Fabula Tea, then chat with in-the-know historians from the Chinese Historical Society of America while learning how to tie decorative Chinese knots.
6:00 -10:00pm, In the coral reef, groove to retro, surf-inspired beats from Dj Tanoa "Samoa Boy" while watching thousands of colorful reef fish swim by.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Learn about the latest technology in ground-based telescopes in Chile and how people around the world are wor
Upcoming NightLife Events
The creatures come out at NightLife when the Academy transforms into a spine-tingling tribute to '80s horror.
Design and science unite for a special edition of NightLife curated by California College of the Arts.
Feed your brain and body this week as NightLife explores the fascinating world of human health and wellness.
Sink your teeth into BiteLife, our annual event celebrating all things edible.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.