Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Curious Creatures NightLife
Music by DJ Jamie Jams
Show your love for the tentacled, the slimy, and the lumpy at this NightLife dedicated to all the curious creatures sometimes overlooked for the fuzzy and cuddly.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Curious Creature Menagerie
Shows at 7pm & 8pm
-----> Visit the East Garden to meet animal guests from Classroom Safari’s menagerie—including a Burmese python, lynx, ringtail lemur, tarantulas, and much more. Plus, say hello to the very curious Willow and Chewy—an adult and baby two-toed sloth.
Curious Creature Lectures
-----> 7:30pm: Examine squid specimens with science writer Danna Staaf, author of Squid Empire, one of Science Friday’s best science books of 2017.
-----> 8:30pm: Catch a screening of “Spider Seduction,” part of the Lens of Time series produced by Spine Films for bioGraphic. Learn about the high-speed cameras and laser-listening devices used to crack these complex seduction codes with UC Berkeley evolutionary biologist Damian Elias and Spine Films producers.
Moon Jelly Discoveries
(Moon Jelly Tank; Coral Reef)
-----> 7:00pm: Meet the biologists who raise and care for our translucent and highly-photogenic moon jellies during a very special Steinhart Aquarium talk.
6:00 - 10:00pm
-----> Check out rodent skulls and learn about the ever-growing incisors of the order Rodentia with Zachary Calamari, PhD & Pauline Marangoni, PhD of UCSF's Klein Lab, Program in Craniofacial Biology, talk to Point Blue Conservation Science to learn why every creature, curious and cute, is critical for healthy ecosystems and a healthy planet and stop by Ant Lab to find out more about the oddest insects around.
Curious Creature Illustrations
6:00 - 10:00pm
-----> Bay Area (and NightLife) illustrator Nigel Sussman returns to take live drawing requests of your favorite lively creatures.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Programming lineup subject to change.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
EARTHQUAKE EXHIBIT CLOSED
- Earthquake exhibit is closed in preparation for an all new exhibit.
*Please note—the Shake House will return in June with an all new look and feel!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6 – 9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Discover how life is connected in Habitat Earth, our latest original planetarium show.
Where will we be likely to find life, how soon will it happen, and what will that discovery actually look like?
Upcoming NightLife Events
Explore the Academy through rose-colored glasses: Tonight we’re celebrating the wonderful world of color.
NightLife partners with SF Beer Week for a froth-filled evening of brews!
Come celebrate your Valentine's, Palentine's or Galentine's at the official Noise Pop Music Festival pre-party.
Kick off the Year of the Pig with lion dancers, masked performers, and pigs!