Join the Hive—the Academy's exclusive membership for ages 21–40. Perks include a ticket to Party After Dark, unlimited NightLife, and more.
Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 6 PM - 9 PM
Corporate Greening: Building Sustainable Companies
Join The Hive as we partner with SF.citi for an evening dedicated to the latest innovations in corporate sustainability. The evening will feature various leaders in the sustainability space as they share innovative business practices and policy levers being used to advance corporate sustainability efforts. Enjoy a night of drinks, networking, and conversation.
Saturday, September 21, 2019, 9am - 12pm
California Coastal Cleanup Day
Time to pitch in for California Coastal Cleanup Day and lend a hand throughout the Golden Gate National Parks! The Hive partners with Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy for a day of service to help clean up Ocean Beach, San Francisco. Let's make trash extinct!
Thursday, October 31, 2019, 6:30-8:30pm
Eat, drink, and be scary at the 5th annual Hive Halloween NightLife Private Lounge! Enjoy exclusive perks from an open bar, hors d' oeuvres, face painting, and a visit from some of the Academy's creepy-crawly specimens. Plus, enjoy NightLife festivities all around the museum from 6-10 pm.
2019 Past Events
Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Summer of the Arts & Sciences
Art, meet Science. Join us at Minnesota Street Project for the biggest membership mixer of the year and meet new friends from SF Opera's BRAVO! CLUB, SF Ballet's ENCORE!, SF Symphony's Symphonix, and FAMSF's ArtPoint. Stroll through an art gallery, enjoy complimentary bites and drinks, and learn about discounted membership opportunities at our sister organizations.
Wednesday, June 12, 2019, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Exhibit Premiere of Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity
Hive members are invited for a private viewing and reception celebrating the Academy’s new exhibit, Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity.
Guests will have the opportunity to meet the exhibit developers and discover skin’s protective, healing benefits through multimedia displays and scientific specimens. Interactive installations will reveal perceptions of vibration, pressure, and temperature. And insights into pigment and culture will illustrate how humans have experienced skin color across history—shaping how we interact and identify with ourselves and each other in today’s world.
Saturday, May 11, 2019, 7:30pm - 11:30pm
Sugarloaf Observatory Star Party
Join the Hive for a Star Party across the Bay at Robert Ferguson Observatory in Sonoma County. Starting at dusk, join Academy experts and docents to learn about the stars and view the universe through the Observatory's three main telescopes.
Following the Star Party, the Hive has a group campsite reserved just a short walk away from the Observatory! Hive members are invited to stay the night, mingle with fellow science lovers, and enjoy s'mores around the campfire.
Thursday, April 25, 2019, 8:30PM - Midnight
Big Bang: Party After Dark
Hive members enjoy countless events, including complimentary tickets to the Bay's biggest bash of the year - Big Bang: Party After Dark ($175 ticket value). Hive members receive access to the VIP lounge.
Highlights: DJ set by St. Vicious a/k/a St. Vincent, complimentary bites and open bars, Silent Disco in the aquarium, and more!
Thursday, March 21, 2019, 6:30PM - 8:30PM
Behind-the-Scenes Collections Tour
Join us on March 21 for a behind-the-scenes tour of the Academy's Ichthyology and Entomology collections. Mingle with fellow Hive members before exploring some of the 46 million scientific specimens housed in our collections, then join the party at Jurassic NightLife.
Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 6PM - 10PM
Hive Movie Night in Morrison Planetarium
Join us for a movie night of epic proportions! We'll be screening a classic movie of YOUR choice in the Academy’s Morrison Planetarium; the world's largest all-digital dome. Enjoy movie snacks, beer, and wine, and mingle with your fellow Hive members before heading in.
Saturday, January 26, 1pm-3pm
Volunteer Day with The Presidio Trust
Join the Hive as we partner with The Presidio Trust to help restore and preserve the natural areas of the Presidio of San Francisco through habitat restoration. Learn about the plants and animals found in our local creeks, dunes, grasslands, woodlands, and other natural landscapes. Activities include planting, watering, weeding, or spreading mulch.
2018 Hive Events
- December 11: Academy Member Holiday Night
- November 10: Tour of Golden Gate Park
- October 25: 4th Annual Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- September 22: St. George Spirits Tasting and Tour
- August 23: Pub Trivia Night
- July 21: Volunteer Outing with Friends of the Urban Forest
- June 26: Summer of the Arts & Science
- June 12: Giants of Land and Sea Exhibit Premiere
- May 10: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- April 21: Lands End Coastal Nature Walk
- March 27: Hive Movie Night in Morrison Planetarium
- February 15: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Academy Collections
- January 20: Planting Party with Sloat Garden Center
2017 Hive Events
- December 12: Academy Holiday Member Night
- November 8: Stargazing on the Living Roof
- October 26: 3rd Annual Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- August & September: Pick-Your-Own-Event at the Asian Art Museum
- August 5: Volunteer Outing at SF Botanical Garden
- July 11: Nature Sketch Workshop with John Muir Laws
- June 10: Angel Island Excursion
- May 17: Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs Exhibit Premiere
- April 27: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- March 24: Annual Hive Movie Night in the Planetarium
- February 16: Beer Week NightLife - drink tickets
- February 1: Seminar with Jennifer Pahlka at the Long Now Foundation
- January 26: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Academy Collections
2016 Hive Events
- December 6 and 13: Academy Holiday Member Nights
- October 27: 2nd Annual Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- October 8: Private Gem Vault Tour
- September 25: Baker Beach Cleanup with the Surfrider Foundation
- August 18: The Hive vs. Exploratorium Lab: Science Pub Trivia
- July 28: BigPicture NightLife Premiere
- July 14: Scavenger Hunt at the Academy
- May 21: History and Nature Tour of Golden Gate Park
- April 28: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- March 16: Hive Movie Screening at the Academy
- March 9: Incoming! Planetarium Premiere and Reception
- February 11: Behind-the-Scenes Tour of the Academy Collections
- January 16: Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy Volunteer Outing
2015 Hive Events
- December 9 and 16: Academy Member Holiday Nights
- November 15: Surfrider Foundation Beach Cleanup
- October 29: Halloween NightLife Private Lounge
- September 17: Sci-Tech NightLife and Drone Workshop
- August 16: Andy Goldsworthy Presidio Art & Nature Hike
- July 30: Big Picture Photography Competition & Exhibit Opening
- July 9: Dodos concert at NightLife
- June 10: Color of Life Exhibit Opening
- May 2: Private Tour and Tasting at Magnolia Brewing Co.
- April 23: Big Bang: Party After Dark
- April 1: Whales: Giants of the Deep Exhibit Opening
- March 17: Special Presentation: The Making of our planetarium show Habitat Earth
- February 12: Feel the Chemistry NightLife Private Cocktail Reception
- January 15: Reception with Executive Director Jon Foley at The Battery
Make a tax-deductible, one-time donation in any amount today.