Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Fungus Among Us NightLife
Put down the button mushrooms and discover fungi’s true potential.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7:15, 8:00 & 8:45pm, Hear fascinating fungi talks that range from the foraged to the funeral.
- 7:15pm: Bay Area Applied Mycology's, Seth Peterson discusses the ecology and uses of Mushrooms.
- 8:00pm: TED speaker Jae Rhim Lee of Coeio, inventor of the innovative mushroom infinity burial suit.
- 8:45pm: Noah Siegel, author of popular myco-guide Mushrooms of the Redwood Coast.
The Science of Spores
6:00 - 10:00pm, Dive into the science of spores with the following experts:
- Discover the role of fungi in future engineering with Sonia Travaglini, a UC Berkeley researcher.
- Take a microscopic look at parasitic fungus with UC Berkeley’s Eisen Lab
- Examine mycology under the microscopes with experts at Merritt College
- Take spore prints with Tyler Tauntin of SF Mycological Society
- Look at the Life cycle of Chytrid Fungi with Stearns Lab at Stanford.
The Edible and Exotic
6:00-10:00pm, Under the expert guidance of Bay Area Applied Mycology, assemble your own DIY mushroom growing kit and peep super exotic mushroom specimens with Far West Fungi. Plus, check out the Mushroom Burial Suit from Coeio up close.
6:00 - 10:00pm, talk at 8:30pm, Ever wonder about the area’s mushroom landscape? Learn about urban truffle foraging throughout the Bay Area from Stephanie Jarvis Pacific Truffle Growers.
Then, become a fun guy (Sorry, had to...) on the dance floor to the fungi inspired funk laid down by Andy Cabic (Vetiver) in the Piazza.
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Check out the best of the Academy with behind the scenes science in the world's greenest museum.
Kick off your Lunar New Year with lion dancers, masked performers, and more!
Kick off the 25th annual Noise Pop Festival with an Animal Collective (DJ set), plus sound-inspired science.
Hear from local beer and spirit masters as NightLife partners with SF Beer Week for a refreshing event.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.